2010 EPA Lead Law Certified and Compliant
Dureiko Construction is fully certified and compliant with new EPA rules and regulations
that went into effect April 2010. This law effects almost every home built before 1978.
Don't let an uncertified construction company work on your house and open you up
potential health and safety risks.
Federal law requires that individuals receive certain information before
renovating six square feet or more of painted surfaces in a room for interior projects or
more than twenty square feet of painted surfaces for exterior
projects in housing, child care facilities and schools built before 1978.
Facts About Lead
- Lead can affect children’s brains and developing nervous systems, causing reduced IQ, learning disabilities, and behavioral problems. Lead is also harmful to adults.
- Lead in dust is the most common way people are exposed to lead. People can also get lead in their bodies from lead in soil or paint chips. Lead dust is often invisible.
- Lead-based paint was used in more than 38 million homes until it was banned for residential use in 1978.
- Projects that disturb lead-based paint can create dust and endanger you and your family. Don’t let this happen to you. Follow the practices described in this pamphlet to protect you and your family.
Lead and Your Health
Lead is especially dangerous to children under six years of age. Even children who appear healthy can have dangerous levels of lead in their bodies. Lead can affect children’s brains and developing nervous systems, causing:
- Reduced IQ and learning disabilities.
- Behavior problems.
Lead is also harmful to adults. In adults, low levels of lead can pose many dangers, including:
- High blood pressure and hypertension.
- Pregnant women exposed to lead can transfer lead to their fetus.
Lead gets into the body when it is swallowed or inhaled.
- People, especially children, can swallow lead dust as they eat, play, and do other normal hand-to-mouth activities.
- People may also breathe in lead dust or fumes if they disturb lead-based paint. People who sand, scrape, burn, brush or blast or otherwise disturb lead-based paint risk unsafe exposure to lead.
Renovate Right - This is a pamphlet that gives details on the new lead law.
Lead; Minor Amendments to the Renovation, Repair, and Painting Program - The actual
2189 Chatfield Drive
Cleveland Heights, OH 44106